Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wait - Wait - Oh and Wait Some More Too

So I spent two hours last night at the urgent care center over at Langley Air Force Base. (And I know 2 hours isn't horrible compaired to the 6 hours I spent in the ER when Girl broke her arm - but that's besides the point.) Just how I wanted to spend my evening. Here's the background:

Boy 2 slept for almost three hours for his afternoon nap and a little less than 1 1/2 hours later he was cranky again - but we didn't think too much of it and just figured he was beat from being in the pool and being outside. Right before dinner I went to pick him up to put him in his high chair and felt that he was pretty warm. I walked over to Shitface and asked him if he felt warm to him. (I've never been very good at feeling a child and figuring if they have a fever - but Shitface it usually (and I say USUALLY) pretty good at this). He said he felt fine. Of course being the over paranoid mom that I am - I went and took his temperature - 102.8!!! I couldn't believe it - I figured he had a low grade fever but not that high.

Anyway, I give him some medicine and we eat dinner. After dinner I call the doctor's office. Of course since we're only here for a month and we're out of our Tricare region they won't see us. So basically I had no choice but to take him to the UCC (it's like the emergency room - only on post.) I decided to take him to Langley versus Ft. Eustis because Shitface always says the airforce has better accomodations and treats their people better (oh the stories I can tell you about the Army medical facilities - but that's a whole other post!)

Initially it went fine - than they took a culture to test for strep and scarlet fever and said they should have the results in 15-20 minutes. (Now mind you - we're in this 6 X 6 room and it's already past Boy 2's bedtime.) After about an hour - I had had enough. I had done everything I possibly could to keep an 11 month old happy in that small of a space - so I walked out to find the doctor (who by the way - was sick himself!!) He was all - what the tests results haven't come back yet?? I wonder why?? Come to find out they lost the results and he had to go back to the lab to get them again! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! They just forgot about us and if I didn't go out there who knows how long we would have waited.

But the results come back and they're negative and they said his ears look fine - no infection there either- and they say otherwise he looks healthy and seems to be happy. Ok - so now what?

We go home of course!! Still don't know what's wrong with him - he's still running a temperature - but we're told to just wait it out and if by Friday his fever hasn't broke to bring him back in. Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Needless to say I don't have much faith in the Air Force medical facilities at this time either!


Shannon said...

Poor guy! :-( I hope he's feeling better for his **1st Birthday** party next weekend!

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?


This Blog is my outlet. It's where I share my thoughts and feelings. It's a place where I can vent. Not everyone thinks alike. People don't always share the same religious or political views. Some people (like me!) occasionally think in more “colorful” terms than others. Sorry, but I'm a big girl and can use cuss words and talk about not-so-mainstream stuff if I want to. If you find that sort of language offensive / shocking / annoying, you may want to stop reading now. Life as a military wife ain't always pretty. It's my life, though, so don't say I didn't warn you.