Wednesday, February 9, 2011

December Part 2 (A.K.A. The time CPS was called)

So this next section of December I've contemplated posting about at all.  I've written and re-written this post several different ways trying to give enough detail without giving all the intimate details of my children, who I often try to shelter on here.

Basically what it boils down to is discipline.  Before I go any further, I understand that this topic is and can be touchy with some people.  However, the way that my husband and I see fit to discipline our children is our decision.

Now with all that out of the way...I'll continue....

One of my children decided to mouth off to me one night and they consequently got smacked in the mouth for doing so and grounded to their room for the week.

What I never imagined happening next, did.  My child went into school and apparently told several people that I hit them.  Now let me back up a little bit.  Everyone at my children's school knows who I am.  I worked there full time last year and have been substituting throughout the school this year.

So when I found out that basically one of my co-workers reported me to CPS (child protective services) I was beyond angry.  I get that child abuse needs to be reported and I don't think it is nearly enough, especially at our school - but seriously for smacking my child for talking back??  My child has never gone to school with so much as a bruise on them and this co-worker felt the need to report me??

Since when did corporal punishment become illegal?  Oh yea, that's right.  In this state, it's NOT!

Of course all of this happened on a Friday (and a week before Christmas at that) and so I spent the remainder of the weekend and several days after that, stressing out over what was going to happen - even though I knew I did absolutely nothing wrong. This has got to be one of the worst feelings a parent can go through, even worse when the other parent is thousands of miles away.

As of this point in time, nothing has come about any of this.  My husband and I did sit said child down that night and via Skype discussed the severity of the situation.  We explained to said child the difference between discipline and abuse.  We told said child the possible consequences of their actions - not only to themselves, but to us as parents and us as a family.

I think they get it now.  At least I hope they do.

As for my co-worker.  I know which one it was.  I haven't confronted her yet - but I do plan on it.  I'm trying to wait a while and try to become less angry about the whole situation.  And I'm just not there yet.

On a side note, if you feel the need to report child abuse - please do so.  But before you do, please ensure you have spoken in detail with the child and even contacted the parent for their side if you are unsure.  Please don't put a family through the hell that this woman has to us.

1 comments:

Renee said...

I completely agree with you. I'm so sorry that you all have had to go through this. We have a similar story that happened with our oldest was 16...it ended badly!

Unfortunately, the law is not on the side of personal discipline.

I hope nothing comes from it and you guys can put it behind you!

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?

OBSCENITY ALERT:

This Blog is my outlet. It's where I share my thoughts and feelings. It's a place where I can vent. Not everyone thinks alike. People don't always share the same religious or political views. Some people (like me!) occasionally think in more “colorful” terms than others. Sorry, but I'm a big girl and can use cuss words and talk about not-so-mainstream stuff if I want to. If you find that sort of language offensive / shocking / annoying, you may want to stop reading now. Life as a military wife ain't always pretty. It's my life, though, so don't say I didn't warn you.